Thursday, January 21, 2010
Art Journal January Day 20
First off, I want to say that this page was a huge disaster, and did not start out very well. I had these great ideas in my head, and not one of them came out on paper correctly. I started with the scraps of paper background, and then a very light coat of gesso. My intention was to use an opaque StazOn to stamp the butterflies, then blend around them with a charcoal pencil but it didn't show up at all. So I then tried colored StazOn, but I did not like the starkness of the brown, so I attempted to paint them with Twinkling H2Os, but that was not very successful, and they looked really weird colored that way, so I decided to cover them with gesso. I was thinking about starting all over, but as I started to coat them with gesso, the butterflies started to soften, and I was beginning to think they weren't so bad after all. So I blotted on the gesso, and then when it was dry, I traced around them with a charcoal pencil and blended with a smudge stick. The gesso ended up covering most of the background paper, but it was ok, since it just softened the colors and prints. I then added the lettering words with a fine line Micron pen, and then added some streaks of silver ink to give it a little pizazz.
I guess it goes to show that even the worst mess of a mistake can be worked into something nice.